Friday, September 09, 2005

anger....for parents

You will be provoked.
You can’t avoid it: “Stumbling blocks are sure to
come” (Luke 17:1). When your child mocks or defies
you as a parent, you don’t simply observe in a
detached way, “Oh, that’s interesting. Now, I believe
I’m hearing and seeing something that perhaps fits
the category of ‘sin’. Why, yes indeed, as I think about
it, that pattern of words seems inconsistent with obedient
respect. Hmm, I wonder how I ought to handle
it?”
Oh no! You are made to react emotionally. A child
is not supposed to mock his parents! The offense rightly
pushes a button and arouses something in you.
Now, that anger easily becomes sinful, but it needn’t.
It can be bridled: “Let’s deal with this.” The anger provides
energy to name clearly what was wrong, to discipline
the child, to talk with him, comfort him, and
give love to him. Anger is sinful and destructive if
punitive, righteous and loving if disciplinary.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wayne Hairston said...

Welcome to my blog! Now go read my brother's
Army National Guard 1st Lt. Christopher Whong's exciting blog: http://chris.whong.org/ News Assistant Jason Whong's boring blog: http://jason.whong.org/ I am a journalist.
Check out my free online dating related website

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home