Monday, September 12, 2005

beautifully angry thoughts

What do you hate? That question has come to me as one that can help someone define their calling ... either vocationally, what they will do as a career, or as a primary ministry area they'll pursue for a period. Example: I know a nurse who was in our church during UF days, now she's going to be trained as a biblical counselor she writes:

I'm hoping to eventually work with kids and families dealing with chronic illnesses- more specifically cancer and AIDS. In Nashville I worked on the Oncology/Bone Marrow Transplant unit and saw that those kids and families have to go through a lot- physically and emotionally- and a lot of the emotional stuff gets lost in the shuffle. I kind of felt that I wanted to minister to their spirits as well as their bodies.

I think another way of saying that could be: "I hate to see the emotional trauma lost in the shuffle when a family is dealing with these horrible physical trials."

Another person may say: "When i see the results of sin causing the destruction of the body it makes me angry. So angry that i want to learn how to do something to reverse/stop/slow down the spread of that destruction.

There's a song on the recent U2 album called Miracle Drug. Bono says: “We all went to the same school and just as we were leaving, a fellow called Christopher Nolan arrived. He had been deprived of oxygen for two hours when he was born, so he was paraplegic. But his mother believed he could understand what was going on and used to teach him at home. Eventually, they discovered a drug that allowed him to move one muscle in his neck. So they attached this unicorn device to his forehead and he learned to type. And out of him came all these poems that he’d been storing up in his head. Then he put out a collection called Dam-Burst of Dreams, which won a load of awards and he went off to university and became a genius. All because of a mother’s love and a medical breakthrough.”

In addition to the beautiful story as it already stands, Bono makes this amazing connection (i think) between the work of science and medicine and Jesus' command to "give a cup of cold water in my name".
Beneath the noise
Below the din
I hear a voice
It’s whispering
In science and in medicine
“I was a stranger
You took me in”

"In science and in medicine, i was a stranger you took me in."
There is one mother in Ireland who is glad that some scientists and doctors were beautifully angry about her boy being unable to communicate. And in serving the least of these, we serve Jesus.